Highlights for January
● Announced a new grant from Mellon to continue funding of the project, along with partner contributions. https://www.kuali.org/news/2013/02/11/kualioleannouncesawardandrewwmellonfoundation See news coverage below.
● Project Manager, Patty Mescher, and Quality Assurance Manager, Rich Slabach, travelled to India to meet with HTC staff in Chennai and Hyderabad.
● Deliver (Lead SME: Stuart Miller)
○ Most of the programming for the basic circulation features was completed.
○ Acceptance testing began on the circulation features.
○ SMEs identified desired permissions and some relatively minor enhancements for either 1.0 or post 1.0 development.
○ Lead SME continued to respond to specific questions from developers and the CoreTeam members.
● Describe/Manage (Lead SME: Mechael Charbonneau)
○ New SME: The team welcomed Neil FrauCortes (Maryland).
○ OLE 1.0 User Requirements Updates:
-OLE2674: Bibliographic Record Editor Enhancements (completed)
-OLE2685: Record Donor Information (completed)
-OLE2886: Global Changes to Holdings & Items (completed)
-OLE3551: Hide Bib, Holdings & Items from Public Display (in process)
-OLE2679: Clone Instance & Item (in process)
○ Other Activities:
-Jan. 24th: Joint call with the S&A Ingest Team to view a HTC demonstration of the code developed for bibliographic overlay.
-Jan. 31st: Joint call with Select & Acquire to discuss with HTC some dependencies between the two modules for boundwith features. It is likely that boundwith functionality, originally slated for release 0.8, will be moved to 1.0.
● Select & Acquire (Lead SME: Carlen Ruschoff)
○ New SME: The team welcomed Lynda Clendenning (Indiana)
○ Approved and posted overview document for Manage Electronic Resource.
○ Reviewed draft proposal written by KFS expert Heather Stapleton regarding invoices that represent multiple POs. Requested that the PM assign a developer to evaluate the proposal.
○ Reviewed list of specs scheduled for version 1 development. Closed items that have been completed or are covered by an existing spec. Moved some less critical features to version 1.5.
○ Specs completed and forwarded:
■ OLE3582: Attach vendor to eDoc by vendor code
■ OLE2655: Claim unfulfilled orders
■ OLE 1900: Receiving NonSerial items
○ Changes to the User Interface are under discussion.
● Technical Council (Lead: Patty Mescher/Tod Olson)
○ Specs still coming in, some received, some close to handoff. Specs as written will increase number of hours required.
○ Feb 15 code freeze will not be realistic, will get a revised date.
○ India trip
■ Discussion of documentation: documenting the source code, best practices, and standards; Patty and development managers will be working on this.
■ HTC showed some experiments in Kuali Mobility (by nonOLE developers).
○ OLE is updating to Rice 2.2, are seeing some improved performance.
○ KFS upgrade is in progress, will not fork KFS until some underlying Java changes are made.
○ Upcoming facetoface meeting in Philadelphia, Feb 2627.
○ Rice/KRAD training is being organized, to be held in Chicago, March 1822; this level of Rice knowledge will be important to troubleshoot problems that arise during implementations.
Coding Update (Changes can be reviewed in the Test Environment: http://tst.ole.kuali.org/portal.jsp )
Select and Acquire:
● Interface modifications continue on deposit accounts, payment requests, and others: fields on searches and Edocuments and are being removed/added and parameters from KFS continue to be updated.
● Ingest processing and reporting continue to be improved.
● On the borrower records, roles and permissions have been modified such that only those in circulation may view/search for records, and those with some authority may edit and deactivate records.
● Pickup locations and maximum number of days have been created for item holds.
● Circulation requests has had several changes to improve searching results, requesting by proxy, and prioritizations
● Recall and onhold notices can be sent via SMS and Email.
● Data creators can assign/update statuses and delete bibliographic records
● Work has been done to incorporate the Instance editor with the bib/Marc editor
● Operators may import single bib records
● Boundwiths, Instance and Item transfers have been completed but their search functionality will need improvements.
Details for this month’s iterations may be found on the wiki:
Kuali OLE in the news:
● Press release coverage:
● “TBOS learns about KualiOLE” The Benefits of Sharing Blog http://libraryblogs.is.ed.ac.uk/benefitsofsharing/2013/01/tboslearnsaboutkualiole/
● “GOKb; Is this an idea that will go?” Thoughts from Carl Grant Blog http://thoughts.careaffiliates.com/2013/01/gokbisthisideathatwillgo.html
Current release: 0.6 (May 2012)
● Drivers Manual: https://wiki.kuali.org/display/OLE/OLE+0.6+Milestone+User+Documentation
Next scheduled release: 0.8 (Q2 2013)
● Road map: http://www.kuali.org/ole/Timeline
● Technical details of 0.8 release todate [requires a KIS account]: https://wiki.kuali.org/display/OLE/OLE+Project+Manager+Page
Recent presentations: http://www.kuali.org/ole/presentations
● Note: some sections will require a KIS account